GUI for mounting drives?

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu May 3 04:36:56 UTC 2007

On 5/2/07, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> If you have entries in /etc/fstab that are not auto-mounted, and are
> user mountable, then you should get icons for them on the desktop.
> But the mount points need to exist.
>
> You may also want to look into gnome-mount. I think it can be
> configured to do what you want...

Thanks for the fstab tip. I can definitely do what I want to do via
command line. I was just surprised to not find a GUI tool to do so.

I had looked at the man page for gnome-mount ... it states right in
there that it isn't really meant to me invoked by end users but rather
things like gnome-volume-manager ...  but gnome-volume-manager seems
to be pretty opaque as to its usage and meant to just run
automatically.

I remember seeing a tool in either an Ubuntu LiveCD or a GNOME Desktop
preview LiveCD. I thought that something like this was part of the
standard tools.

/Mike