My system got crashed!!! Help me out please

stan stanl at cox.net
Sat May 5 22:58:06 UTC 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 22:59:21 +0530
"suman rapolu" <suman.neo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Today when i tried to upgrade some packages using "Synaptic" package
> manager, the window didn't minimized and suddenly not responded. From
> then no GUI application(either Gnome or KDE) is getting opened, and
> giving errors like "X server is not running". Then i first logged-off
> from my current user account. After logging-off it gave me message
> like "X server is not running and after correcting errors start the
> "GDM" server".
>
>       Then i rebooted my system hoping the X server may get
> initialized at boot time, so that the problem may disappear. But at
> booting time it gave "filesystem is corrupted" and is not booting
> now. I am using Fedora 5 (linux 2.6.15 kernel). I tried to get a copy
> of "syslog" messages but the filesystem is corrupted.
>
> Can anybody help me please, i have some important data init.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Suman.
Hi Suman,

Caveat:  I am not an expert at this.

It doesn't sound good.  The normal thing is to try booting either a
rescue disc or a second copy of the OS on another hard disk.  This will
allow you to examine the hard drive that has the corruption.  It might
be recoverable, but I think the system usually recovers automatically if
it can.  There is a way to ask the filesystems to be checked at boot,
but I haven't done it for a long time.  I think you hit a capital I at
the start of the boot process.

Good luck.