My system got crashed!!! Help me out please

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sat May 5 23:51:00 UTC 2007

On 5/5/07, suman rapolu <suman.neo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Today when i tried to upgrade some packages using "Synaptic" package
> manager, the window didn't minimized and suddenly not responded. From then
> no GUI application(either Gnome or KDE) is getting opened, and giving errors
> like "X server is not running". Then i first logged-off from my current user
> account. After logging-off it gave me message like "X server is not running
> and after correcting errors start the "GDM" server".
>
>       Then i rebooted my system hoping the X server may get initialized at
> boot time, so that the problem may disappear. But at booting time it gave
> "filesystem is corrupted" and is not booting now. I am using Fedora 5 (linux
> 2.6.15 kernel). I tried to get a copy of "syslog" messages but the
> filesystem is corrupted.
>
> Can anybody help me please, i have some important data init.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Suman.
>
> --

Hi Suman!

When I think about what may have blown up during an upgrade the first
thing that comes to my rather unexperianced mind (I almost alaways do
a fresh install, never an upgrade) is that you are doing some kind of
raid or other special disk system that requires a specific kernel
patch or module, which must be included in the linux ramdisk image
which is used to set up the system before it pivots to the full kernel
and associated disk systems.

You may have the old kernel and initrd available, perhaps even by the
boot menu.  Hit a key when you see the splash screen and see if a menu
appears and select your old Kernel if available.

If not try looking for them using a rescue CD or Live CD.  If you find
them you can point to them in /boot/grub/grub.conf (see:
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-fc5.html#boot
)

If you do not find a path to do this then probably it is best to think
in terms here of recovering your data.  It may be possible to save the
full install but I think it is good to note that backing up the data
before the upgrade attempt is alaways the best policy.

Possible tools:

Fedora Live CD

Fedora Rescue CD (maybe even in the flavor of the current install)

Puppy Live CD (light fast and has a lot of poking tools (see:
http://www.puppylinux.com/
))
Helix Live CD (Incident response! (see:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=helix+linux