FC6 grub problem...

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 6 02:08:52 UTC 2007

Darren Foster wrote:
> Ok so I have tried to upgrade in the hope that it will install grub
> using the FC6 Cd’s and when I do it starts to install the bootloader and
> then comes up with the following message.
>
> "*No kernel packages were installed* on your system. Your *boot loader*
> configuration *will not be changed*."

This is probably because the kernel was the same or newer version than
on the disk. If there is not a kernel, you have bigger problems than
grub installation.

What is under the /boot directory? (Hopefully a kernel and other boot
related images and files)

 > I seem to hit a brick wall at every turn.
 > Any ideas?
 > Darren

Basically after chrooting to /mnt/sysimage you need to run grub-install
/dev/<whatever-is-the-boot-drive or Master Boot Record device>

If you get the grub prompt at boot and it just sits there. You need to
run root(hd0,<number-of-boot-partition>)
followed by setup(hd0) if installed in MBR or add a number after the
comma if booting off of a partition for grub.

Examples for my setup.
grub-install /dev/hda
  for installing grub in the MBR when using the rescue mode.

for the grub prompt, I would run
root(hd0,1)
setup(hd0)
exit

This should install rub in the Master boot record and reference the
kernel stored in the second partition of the first hard disk.

If this is not clear enough, maybe someone can present the steps with
more clarity.

Jim

--
Your business will assume vast proportions.