mkinitrd not honoring lpfc options in modprobe.conf

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 06:29:26 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, Tony.Cetera at thomson.com <Tony.Cetera at thomson.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using FC6 with the following i686 kernel: 2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.  I've
> installed an Emulex LP8000 with the latest firmware (no boot code) and
> attached a local FC storage array, point-to-point, no fabric.
>
> I have the following entries in /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> options lpfc lpfc_topology=0x4
> alias scsi_hostadapter1 lpfc
>
> When I boot the system, the lpfc kernel module loads but does not report any
> disks attached to the bus and none of the /dev devices are created.  I'm
> guessing this is the case due to mkinitrd not using the lpfc_topology option
> (to force point-to-point instead of fabric) in modprobe.conf.
>
> However if I simply remove the lpfc module
>
> # modprobe -vr lpfc
> rmmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6/kernel/drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc.ko
> rmmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_fc.ko
>
> and re-add it
>
> # modprobe -v lpfc
>
> insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6/kernel/drivers/scsi/scsi_transport_fc.ko
> insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2944.fc6/kernel/drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc.ko
> lpfc_topology=0x4
>
> all the devices are created and I can use all the disks in the storage
> array.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?  Is there anything I can do to make sure
> mkinitrd uses the options I specify in modprobe.conf for the lpfc driver?
>
> Thank you.

I encountered a similar problem with a module not being loaded. In my
case it was the driver for my ISA sound card. It worked when FC6 was
first installed. After an update the module no longer loads on boot or
restart. The stated excuse is "FC6 no longer supports ISA interfaces".
I found a fix given by some one on this list for a different sound
problem; it worked for me:

Append the following lines to /etc/rc.local

modprobe -r lpfc
modprobe lpfc

# If you want verbose output you can add the -v parameter to modprobe.

If it does or does not work let us know the results. And please file a
bug report.  It will be useful for the documentation folks who,
unfortunately, had the Release Notes for FC7  CD/DVD frozen.