kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sun May 6 22:15:35 UTC 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007 22:16, Martin Marques wrote:
> I just finished upgrading the kernels in my FC6 with yum and I see this
> at the end:
>
> Removed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 kernel.i686 0:2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
> Installed: kernel.i686 0:2.6.20-1.2948.fc6
>
> Now, why did it remove does kernel? Shouldn't it just install the new
> ones and leave old ones there?
>
> --
> select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar' AS email;
> Martín Marqués          |   Programador, DBA
> Centro de Telemática |     Administrador
>                 Universidad Nacional
>                      del Litoral

Yum by default only keeps 2 kernels. If you go to /etc/yum, and I'm running
FC2 at the moment so can't check, but in /etc/yum IIRC there are 2
directories. One has to do with plugins. You want the installonlyn plugin. In
this one change the line "enable=1" to "enable=0". Now all your kernels will
be saved, and if you want to remove specific kernels you can do it using
yumex.

I use Apt, not Yum, and personally think that this default behaviour of Yum is
potentially risky.

For example. You have a kernel installed when you installed FC6, and this
works ok. You do a yum update, and a newer kernel is installed. For some
reason this kernel does not work. Some time later after another yum update,
another kernel update is installed, which removes your original kernel. If
the latest kernel doesn't work, you are stuffed, as your original kernel,
which did work has been removed by yum.

Personally I'm glad that I use Apt. I don't have to suffer this Yum stuff.

1:  Apt keeps all kernels. You decide which ones you want to remove.

2: Yum trashes all the downloaded files as default, once the update is
completed. Apt saves them as default in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you are
getting a bit close to critical on harddrive space , and don't need the
archives, you can do an apt-get clean, and it will send them to the trash,
but at least you are in control.

Allright having the cache saved as default does consume some harddrive space.
I'm on dialup, and may want to install another instance of FC6 on another
partition. It makes sense to retain the cache. It not only saves wasting
Internet bandwidth, but also time on my dialup connection.  I won't rant on
any more, but do think that it would be more convenient for users if Yum:

1: Had the installonlyn plugin set as enabled=0

and

2: Had "keep cache=1" in /etc/yum.conf

My2¢ worth for what it's worth.

Nigel.