kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 6 22:21:24 UTC 2007

Nigel Henry wrote:
> I use Apt, not Yum, and personally think that this default behaviour of Yum is
> potentially risky.
>
> For example. You have a kernel installed when you installed FC6, and this
> works ok. You do a yum update, and a newer kernel is installed. For some
> reason this kernel does not work. Some time later after another yum update,
> another kernel update is installed, which removes your original kernel. If
> the latest kernel doesn't work, you are stuffed, as your original kernel,
> which did work has been removed by yum.

If you are running the kernel that works that won't be removed by this
plugin. If lot of kernels don't work the problems lie elsewhere.

> Personally I'm glad that I use Apt. I don't have to suffer this Yum stuff.
>
> 1:  Apt keeps all kernels. You decide which ones you want to remove.
>
> 2: Yum trashes all the downloaded files as default, once the update is
> completed. Apt saves them as default in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you are
> getting a bit close to critical on harddrive space , and don't need the
> archives, you can do an apt-get clean, and it will send them to the trash,
> but at least you are in control.

Note that both of these are just a matter of default preferences and can
be easily changed. The large majority of end users don't use dialup and
have no requirement to save installed packages on the cache.

Rahul