kernel upgrade with yum removed old kernels

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sun May 6 23:16:53 UTC 2007

On 5/6/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
> \
> > How do you know a user is not using dialup? More than half of my LUG
> > is on dialup and I'm in the middle of Silicon Valley!
>
> Reasonable guesstimate considering the number of updates that get
> through the server. I would say for dial ups Fedora hasn't been a good
> fit previously.

The Red Hat servers are not seeing the traffic because many are using
local mirrors.

> There are two things that are changing that.
>
> * yum-utils got a yum security plugin which would download updates
> classified as security issues.
>
> * yum presto plugin which downloads delta rpms instead of full updates.
> These aren't mirror widely yet but should happen sooner or later.
>
> > The "installonlyn" plugin is probably better suited to RHEL, not
> > Fedora Core. I do not have a RHEL license but my take is that RHEL has
> > fewer released kernel updates than a developmental product such as
> > Fedora Core. If the goal of Fedora Core is to test various packages it
> > really makes no sense for the testers (that's the entire FC user base)
> > to have stable or reference kernel packages pulled out from them.
>
> Yes it doesn't make sense if your assumptions are true but then they are
> not. The goals of Fedora are clearly outlined in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives. It doesn't make much sense for
> RHEL and RHEL does not have it because the number of updates are very
> low and a plugin to manage the number wouldn't be very useful.

The life time of a Fedora release is short. Previous FC releases had
less than 10 kernel updates. The number is probably on the same scale
as a RHEL release over a longer period of time.

Since reaching 2.6.18 the number and velocity of kernel changes
reaching the user base is greater. Why?

>Yum does prompt for all actions by default and all the plugins have on load
> messages so there is no chance that something is going to happen without
> the user being informed.

Only if a user is running yum from the commandline. Some users
automate updates.

> When you buy RHEL what you get is a subscription (which is essentially a
> support contract) btw, not a license

Correction noted.