Ideas for yum

Martin Marques martin at bugs.unl.edu.ar
Mon May 7 12:00:31 UTC 2007

When I first used yum, FC1, it did lots of things I really didn't like,
being the worst the download of all the repo metadata each time yum was
executed. Very bad behavior.

At that time I started using smart which was quite promising but now I
see it as a real hog. Don't know if it's due to smart, rpm or the rpm
meta data structure (XML parsing can be quite resource consuming).

So I tried yum yesterday and found some nice things since.

Three things I found lacking (of haven't found how to configure) in
latest versions of yum are:

1) Preferences for repositories, so that a package in more then one
repository will always try to keep the one from a specific repository. I
saw an option in yum.conf, pkgpolicy, which is not documented, and the
little doc I found on the web wasn't very enlightening.

2) Search gives to much information: One line with a brief description
is enough. And it repeats it self: If the same package is in core,
updates and freshrpms I get it three times.

3) A policy of installation would be good to have, so befor installing a
package you know where it comes from, and what installed package will be
replaced in case of an upgrade.

--
  21:50:04 up 2 days,  9:07,  0 users,  load average: 0.92, 0.37, 0.18