disabling kernel updates

pgaltieri at cox.net pgaltieri at cox.net
Mon May 7 21:46:56 UTC 2007

---- Scott Berry <sberry at northlc.com> wrote:
> How do I disable kernel updates in apt-get and yum so no newer kernels can be downloaded but yet if I want to install a kernel I can actually enable downloading it myself?  Also what would the syntax look like to enable a kernel download through apt-get?  Thanks for the help.
>
> Scott
To disable updates of a package using yum add an exclude line in the /etc/yum.conf file.  For example

exclude=kernel*

I believe this should work.  I don't know if doing a

yum -y update kernel

will force an update.  I don't know about apt-get, but I assume it should have something similar.  With yum you can also provide the exclude on the command line.

Paolo