New Dell Inspiron 9400: From Vista to Fedora/Vista.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon May 7 22:56:10 UTC 2007

Nat Gross writes:

> I would like to have Fedora on it in a dual boot config.
> If I have to, I'll reinstall Vista (and free Win software) from scratch.

Are you really sure you can do that?

The Vista CD you have included with your shiny machine is, most likely, a
castrated "rescue CD" that merely copies over the original Vista install
image off a hidden, extra partition.  I'd be surprised if it even gave you
an option of choosing your partition layout.  More than likely it just wipes
everything clean and sets up an entire disk-spanning partition, again.

> The question is which is the best way of accomplishing this:
> 1. Boot the Fedora DVD, and have it shrink the Windoz partition, install Fedora.

There's nothing in Fedora's installer that allows you to shrink existing
partitions.

> 2. Get a 3rd party partition manager to reduce the partition, then
> install Fedora.

Plausible, presuming that you find one that groks Vista.

> 3. Boot Fedora DVD, wipe out partition, install Fedora and afterwards Vista.

Won't work.

> 4. Wipe out partition, install Vista and afterwards Fedora.

See above.

> Also key question. Would Fedora 7 differ then FC6 in this scenario?

No.