dhcp does not work with SiS SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 12:37:18 UTC 2007

--- "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
wrote:

> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > Dear folks,
> >
> > I have a problem with a computer, but I have
> resolved
> > it using rc.local startup script by assigning an
> ip
> > address manually since the computer does not pick
> up
> > dhcp.  It hangs for a long time, so I turned off
> the
> > dhcp and put something like
> >
> > ifconfig eth0 10.154.19.XXX netmask 255.255.XXX.0
> > route add default gateway 10.154.XX.X
> >

> If you are going to configure the interface with a
> static IP
> address, why not do it using the network
> configuration tools, or by
> editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?
> If you decide to
> manually edit ifcfg-eth0, you can find the
> documentation in
> /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysconfig.txt.
>
> Now, as far as fixing the real problem, we need more
> information
> about your network. Do other computers on the
> network work using
> DHCP?

Yes computers on the network are configured using
dhcp, each computer with a MAC address in the network
gets its ip automatically and everything should work,
but mine does not.

>Is there a router or switch between the Linux
> system and the
> DHCP server?

No.  Direct connection.

>Are you running a firewall on your
> Linux system, and if
> so, is it configured to allow DHCP?

I think the normal firewall that comes with Fedora is
running, but How do I know if it does allow/not allow
DHCP to work?

> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>
> --

Regards,

Antonio