Ideas for yum

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 9 09:00:33 UTC 2007

Tim:

Tony Nelson:
>>> Trademark guidelines are not "stupid".

Blind subservience might well be.  It's the name of the RPM file, not
the damn program.

Rahul Sundaram:
> Maybe. This decision was made long before Apache grew into anything
> beyond just a web server and we had any real alternatives to it. If you
> can suggest a better name feel free to in the development list.
>
> It is just noise here.

'twas just a comment about the problems in grepping output from yum,
that's it's not going to work for some situations, hence one more reason
why having yum doing some user-friendly searching might well be a good
idea.

Though the point still stands, we could have sendmail.org insisting the
sendmail RPM is called smtp.rpm, and so on for the rest of them.  A
distro as big as the Red Hat ones (this predates Fedora, if I recall
correctly), should have told Apache that the package for our distro will
be named in a user-friendly, and practical, manner.

What would you do when two, or more, package suppliers insisted that
their package have such a generic name, and you wanted both of them to
be included in the distro?

BIND's was another one of the RPM-name-gotchas.  With *named* and *bind*
packages.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.