Apache (httpd) / php5_module quandary ??

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Wed May 9 15:21:28 UTC 2007

Thanks Tony;

On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 14:46 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 1:32 PM -0400 5/8/07, William Case wrote:
> >Hi;
> >
> >Problem:
> >        I missed a meeting and found myself volunteered to help maintain
> >        my local LUG web site.  I have previously done very little work
> >        with web sites.  We use SVN and a combination of HTML/PHP.  My
> >        browser reads the existing web site perfectly.  However, when I
> >        turn my browser on the LUGrepo on my machine (http://case/lug/;
> >        linked from /var/www/html/lug; case = localhost ) one particular
> >        web page element fails to show correctly.  I mention all this in
> >        case the advice I got from LUG members is wrong.
> >
> >        Some LUG members suggested that my php5_mod had not been
> >        installed.  So I set about installing it.

[snip]

> Find out where you stand.  Make a file:
>
>     # echo "<?php phpinfo(); ?>" >/var/www/html/phpinfo.php
>
> View it in your browser:
>
>     <http://case/phpinfo.php>
>
> If it works, it has lots of good info including the PHP version.

It works.  Thanks for the info summary.  It seems that php is working.
So I will have to look elsewhere for my Web problem.  It could be the
file I am looking for has not been properly added to the SVN Trunk  or
the link name has been changed.  I'll see if I can chase it down.

> I see
> from another response that you appear to have PHP installed, but you might
> do a "rpm -q php" just to be sure.

]# rpm -q php
php-5.1.6-3.5.fc6

> The php RPM installs a file
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf that loads the PHP module
> /usr/lib/httpd/modules/libphp?.so without requiring changes
> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.

Thanks again Tony, a couple of old lessons re-learnt -- start testing
with the basics (KISS) -- and even those (e.g. members of my LUG) who
seem to know what they are talking about, don't necessarily know what
they are talking about.

--
Regards Bill