Website woes

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed May 9 17:00:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 11:15:16 -0500,
  Dave Ihnat <dihnat at dminet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 12:03:31PM -0400, George Hare wrote:
> > Can anyone reccomend some place's that aren't afraid of linux. I'd
> > appreciate it and would love to start getting this website up.
>
> SpeakEasy has been very good to me for technical issues and support.  Their
> techs grok more advanced issues and, yes, Linux.

I run a website on a DSL connection via Speakeasy. They let me set up a
PTR record for the site. (You need to go through support to do this, though
they have some back burner project to do this in a more automated fashion.)
You can also set up a web site on their host. I don't know what services
you get without paying extra as I never did much with this.

They definitely aren't afraid of Linux. I don't think they emphasize their
suitability for geeks as much now, but you can probably still find stuff
where they state that they don't block ports.

The biggest problem is that they partner mostly with Covad and Covad has been
expanding very slowly since they had their bankruptcy. So if you aren't
in a high density area you might not be able to get service from them.
They also partner with New Edge Networks, but they seem to have even less
coverage than Covad.

They have VOIP service, but the ATA doesn't know about upstream limits, so
you really need to do your own traffic shaping if you want it to work well.

They were recently purchased by Best Buy, so their long term outlook may
be questionable. But for the time being they are being run independently for
day to day stuff and there haven't been obvious changes.

If you want more than DSL for sheep, but less than DSL for business they
are a very good option.