How to mount floppy?

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri May 11 17:36:05 UTC 2007

Can someone tell me why I can't mount a Windows floppy containing a
WordPerfect .wpd file on this FC6 computer?

mount  /dev/fd0
mount: block device /dev/fd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

so I tried mount -t vfat /dev/fd0

but that doesn't work!

I put the following in /etc/fstab

/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    defaults,noauto 0 0

which may not be correct?  I tried to follow what I see in a Centos4.4
box that does read the floppy directory, but messed around with the
default,noauto.

I feel like a rat in a maze after spending the whole morning trying to
retrieve the file from an old doggy Windows 98 computer that must have
crashed twenty times and refuses to recognize a mouse.  Windows without
a mouse is a real exercise, for me anyway!

Thanks.

Bob Goodwin