disabling modules at boot time

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sat May 12 04:56:50 UTC 2007

Wade Hampton wrote:
> Good idea except when the original modprobe could cause a lockup of
> the box....  I was hoping there was a clean way of preventing a module
> from loading at startup via modprobe but then later being able to
> modprobe the module.

After some list/bugzilla problems with trying to disable loading ipv6 on
my machines, various mentioned the correct way would be:

in /etc/modprobe.conf:
install wct4xxp /sbin/true
install zaptel /sbin/true

I think this essentially informs the module loader that if it is asked
to install the particular module, that it should return true {success},
but not actually do anything.

If you want to load it later, the same conf would be blocking the load ;(

DaveT.