Upgrading Red Hat 9 to Core 1--where's the software?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 14 06:52:58 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 14:14 -0400, Tony Nelson wrote:
> Finalizing has nothing to do with the data being written.  Finalizing
> refers to the media, not the data.  If the media is not finalized,
> more sessions can be written to it.  How the data in earlier sessions
> is treated depends on how whatever is reading it deals with multiple
> sessions.

If one uses disc assessment tools, one sees whether the disc is closed
or still has open sessions.  I've yet to see a disc burnt from an ISO
image still be open.  That seems to indicate that you're burning them
differently than others.

The ISO image is an "image" of what's going to be burnt onto the disc,
virtually all the pits and bumps.  That isn't just the files, but the
file system, as well - everything that goes onto the finished disc.
It'll include all the bits that burning software also writes with files
indicating that the disc is closed.  It allows even the dumbest of
software to just send that information to the laser, without having to
know anything about structuring a disc.

Having to finalise a disc burnt from an ISO image is an abnormal
requirement.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.