RPM Repositories

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon May 14 15:27:22 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 09:33:53AM -0600, Robin Laing wrote:
>> Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
>>>    Dear friends,
>>
>> I have to agree with Axel's comments.  Most of the software you need is
>> available in core/extras.  There are some other items that are only on a
>> specific repo so it would depend on the application you want to use/try.
>>
>> As I am constantly looking for software, I like using Yumex as it allows
>> me to search for application by keyword in a GUI.  I have just changed
>> from gnome to KDE and I have yet to really try kyum but it looks like it
>> will do the same as yumex.
>
> BTW if you want to search for software that may not be part of Fedora
> and may even not be part of any Fedora 3rd party repo, e.g. only found
> in Suse/Mandriva etc. there is an excellent service at rpm.pbone.net.
>
> If you are lucky you will be pointed to the repo that has your desired
> software, if you have less luck you get a pointer to a suse/mandriva
> package that you can use to create your own package. And in the worst
> case you will find no packaging at all, and then you should ask
> yourself what kind of software that is. ;)
>
> (either obsolete or proprietary)

I have rpm.pbone.net in my bookmarks.  I have used it and found that
some other distro rpm's will actually mount and work on FC, at least up
to FC4.  I have also tried older versions of packages on FC with some
success when they have either been dropped or as you say become
obsolete.  Sometimes the old applications have a tool or feature that I
just don't want to be without.

I am looking forward to FC7 but I am concerned about a few applications
or features not working that I need.  This is more important for my
wifes computer as I get in a whole heap of trouble when her computer
doesn't work with almost everything.  :)

Most of the different packages that I am looking for is done at work.
More related to science and technology research.

But we digress from the original thread.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.