No Wireless Connection

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 15 13:38:25 UTC 2007

John Dey wrote:

> I now have a ipw3945.ko driver set up.  The driver is being recognized
> by system-config-network.  But when I try to make the wireless eth1
> active I get an error:
>
> Determining IP information for eth1...failed; no link present.  Check
> cable?
>
> iwconfig eth1 from command line produces
>
> eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"linksys"  Nickname:"robo6.jsdey.com"
>            Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point:
> Not-Associated
>            Bit Rate:0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
>            Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>            Encryption key:off
>            Power Management:off
>            Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
>            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>            Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:27   Missed beacon:0

I would look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
to see if the entries there are reasonable.

Does the machine the access point is connected to use dhcp?
If so is the /etc/dhcpd.conf entry on that machine correct?
Are you running dhclient?

You could try using Ad-Hoc mode.
Also run "sudo service network restart" after any change.

The WiFi setup under Fedora is very bad.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366