Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

David Fletcher fc at fletchersweb.net
Tue May 15 15:04:54 UTC 2007

At 15:44 15/05/2007, you wrote:

>As to flash disks, which were mentioned,
>mine have always worked perfectly -
>if one didn't come up automatically I'd put it down to a temporary glitch.
>I certainly wouldn't change distributions because of that.
>That seems to me a bit like selling a house because a bulb has gone.

Well, I like my backups. Backups are more than nice, they're essential.

But they're no damn good to anybody if they can't be copied off the
machine onto some sort of media that can be carried off site. These
days, for my purposes, that media is a USB flash drive. Several in
fact. The first one stays next to the computer. The second gets
carried around with me in my briefcase. The third lives in my car
glove box. Occasionally (because the Nokia 6230i only appears to
support USB1.0 so it's rather slow) I put a copy onto the flash card
buried in my mobile phone. And sometimes I'll put a copy on one of
the servers at the office.

I like my backups. So if I can't easily and very reliably take copies
of my backups, sorry Fedora but that's a show stopper.

Dave