amarok problem with xine

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 15 16:21:44 UTC 2007

Tim:
>> It's not as if it's that hard to work out.  All you do is Google
>> search "how to play [bogus-example] files in mplayer" and you get
>> plenty of results.

Timothy Murphy:
> Actually it was not that simple for me.
> I googled for "amarok mp3 fedora"
> and was led to a different non-free codec which did not work.

I tend to find that something like a three keyword query is about as
good as looking for the word "the".  You get all sorts of things that
mention your keywords, but not in the context that you're need.  Did you
try a query as a natural sentence?  One that someone would have asked
somewhere, and possibly got an answer.

e.g. how to play mp3s in amorak on fedora

Some small variations on a theme (how do I..., I can't play..., quotes
around the sentence, omitting the distro name, including a mailing list
address, etc.), tends to find some useful replies.  That was how I
resolved that issue with XMMS, ages ago.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.