Success! FC6 and AMD64 problems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 15 16:30:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 15:31 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I must say, I find the setting in F=>Administration=>Date & Time
> rather confusing.
> What does the checkbox "System clock uses UTC" mean?
> Is this a statement or a question?

Both...

Question:  If your hardware clock (the system clock) is set to it, and
you select that option, your software clock (what I would have called
the system clock) can be loaded with the time from the hardware clock.
And it needs to know this, as well as the time zone, to figure out what
the time is.

Statement:  Shortly afterwards, NTP will be used to set the time.  The
software clock will be set to the correct time, and at some time the
hardware clock will also be set, as well.  The time loaded into the
hardware clock will be determined by that flag, along with what the time
actually is.

> Incidentally, who changed GMT to UTC?

Some bastard that's annoyed astronomers all over the planet, not to
mention other groups where GMT is not exactly the same as UTC.

> Whoever it was, they should be shipped to Guantanamo.

I'm not sure if anyone deserves that fate.  Though I'd like to see them
strapped to a cubicle in the Microsoft telephone support centre...

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.