Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

stan stanl at cox.net
Tue May 15 22:18:54 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:16:34 -0400
"G.Wolfe Woodbury" <ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 01:29:52AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > It would be better if you would. You can choose to not contribute
> > anything back and only expect to get everything for free but if
> > everybody chooses to be selfish you wouldn't get what you are
> > getting. This is a ecosystem that relies folks investing resources
> > like their own time or money.
> >
> > If you have the time to complain you have time to contribute. If
> > you don't find this system suitable find another one. It's not like
> > there is a death of choices. No point in constantly abusing the
> > system while relying on it.
>
> I'd like to disagree with Rahul's harsh tone here.

I didn't find his tone particularly harsh, just an opinion stated more
straightforwardly than we are used to in our politically correct
society.  Of course, political correctness is just another name for
diplomacy, telling people what they don't want to hear, politely. ;-)
Where I find fault with it is when it goes beyond diplomacy to
appeasement (not telling people things they need to hear for fear of
hurting their feelings).

> F/OSS will *always* have its leeches, but we shouldn't be too hard on
> them. They form a ground and are part of the environment too.  As a
> metaphor, they are the soil into which we cast the seed hoping to
> find and form more seeds.
>
> Contributing takes many forms, and even the complaints are sometimes
> useful.

On the other hand, I agree with you that even the complaints are
useful.  And the silent majority that just uses the distribution is
also useful as they bring it visibility in the marketplace and raise
the mind share with hardware and software providers.  Popularity
helps encourage other people to volunteer, as well.

> I take the time to test installing packages and their interactions,
> even if I don't use some packages.  I like doing installs and I have
> the time to do them. I'm no longer a good programmer, but I have the
> ability to read thru anaconda and other things and make suggestions.
> I have the time to file bugzilla tickets and respond to them.  That
> is my contribution, as minimal as it may seem.
>

>From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. :-)
I wouldn't call your contribution minimal, comrade. :-^

> The harshness of Rahul's tone is much too common in the Fedora
> community, and is part of the "failing" we face and need to correct.
> IMHO of course.

If anyone's skin is so thin that they are hurt by Rahul's
comment, they shouldn't be out in public. :-)

But Rahul needs to go to reeducation camp, obviously, in order to
confess his shortcomings and correct his attitude. :-)