Where Fedora Went Wrong (nice conclusion)

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Tue May 15 23:01:33 UTC 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 03:18:54PM -0700, stan wrote:
> On Tue, 15 May 2007 17:16:34 -0400
> "G.Wolfe Woodbury" <ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us> wrote:

> > I'd like to disagree with Rahul's harsh tone here.
<snip>

> >From each according to his ability, to each according to his need. :-)
> I wouldn't call your contribution minimal, comrade. :-^

Thank you.

> > The harshness of Rahul's tone is much too common in the Fedora
> > community, and is part of the "failing" we face and need to correct.
> > IMHO of course.
> >

> If anyone's skin is so thin that they are hurt by Rahul's
> comment, they shouldn't be out in public. :-)

I haven't been called "thin-skinned" for a long, long time.

> But Rahul needs to go to reeducation camp, obviously, in order to
> confess his shortcomings and correct his attitude. :-)

No, he doesn't.
But that being said, I do think the bluntness of his commentary,
and the commentary of some others in the F/OSS community (where there
is little tolerance for "political correctness") is *perceived*
to be harsh and unfriendly.

When I go to hold the hands of users and friends as they approach
the "high-tech" stuff they ask me to help them with, I try hard to
understand and empathise with their uncertainties and fears.  This
goes a long way to helping them and F/OSS get along together.

When I say that I'm testing F7 in some locales (even here in RedHat's
backyard) I get conversations about how Fedora is "too unfriendly"
for "them" to use.  I've had quite a few conversations over this
perception and have, hopefully, eased a bit of the FUD that clouds
Fedora and F/OSS in general.

The recent patent threats from Redmond, WA are no help either.

--
Wolfe