Is it possible for wine to run MS windows programs in a window?

Strong strong_yethumble at pochta.ru
Wed May 16 09:31:13 UTC 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:31:09 +1000 David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> > Is it possible for wine to run MS windows programs in a window even
> > those that require full screen?
> Which program(s) in particular ?

The game "Heroes of Might and Magic III".

> > Also, how I can turn off sound device using by wine, so that its
> > programs, even try not to use sound - that they might suppose in the
> > "machine" they are running there is no sound card?
> There is a no sound dummy driver available - the sound would still
> get passed to the audio subsystem. But you probably can disable it
> more directly. The fedora packaging splits wine-jack & wine-esd into
> separate packages but both are required by the wine package.

I've seen that linux version was capable of turning sound off and the
game ran faster as the music was played in some stages of the game
prior to the battle - for example. But in ms windows I do not know how
to run the program with a parameter of no sound...