NetworkManager-vpnc

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu May 17 20:53:42 UTC 2007

On 2007-05-17, 18:24 GMT, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> The problem though is that NetworkManager overwrites
> /etc/resolv.conf, replacing the local nameserver with the
> remote one.  I then can't browse the Internet or get to any of
> my local servers, unless I use IPs.

There are two ways how to make it work: one is brutal, other one
less so:

a) the brutal way is to make /etc/resolv.conf as you want it
   (hint: install local caching-nameserver and set nameserver to
   127.0.0.1) and then set

   # chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

   (read chattr(1) to understand fully the implications of this).

b) slightly less brutal way is to fix /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script so
   that it doesn't break your /etc/resolv.conf (see my script on
   http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/tmp/vpnc-script for one example
   how to do it).

Best,

Matej