On Bugzilla and spreading FOSS, was: Where Fedora Went Wrong...

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Thu May 17 21:11:10 UTC 2007

On 2007-05-17, 16:31 GMT, M. Fioretti wrote:
> However, I am not sure you and I are talking about the same
> scenario. Your explanations are clear and a real time saver for
> somebody who already is a competent Linux user. My initial
> comment was written with the real newbie in mind.
>
> [...]
>
> These instructions and their purpose are very clear to me, but
> for a real newbie they are absolutely obscure gibberish.

I think we have to admit, that just there will be bigger and
bigger share of users of Linux who are absolutely unable to file
a proper bug report. Certainly we should make our tools as
idiot-proof as possible (I am not sure for example whether
bug-buddy combined with some serious data-mining wouldn't help),
and certainly bugzilla.redhat.com is probably on the lower level
of usability as far as bugzillas go (both bugzilla.gnome.org and
bugs.kde.org are IMHO much better; and I am saying it as
a bugmaster for the desktop team, so I little bit know what I am
talking about). However, the sad fact of life is that there are
limits how far we could go. Oh well.

Best,

Matej