How to rename a lvm volume group

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 18 03:28:47 UTC 2007

Stuart Murray-Smith:
>> What I've learnt to do is to rename the VG && LVs on install with
>> unique names... and I've been able to mount/remount other LVs without
>> any hassles

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht:
> I wonder if someone should bugzilla this.  The clashing VG / LV names
> are a royal pain in the posterior.  Better would be if Fedora's
> install just generated a randomized string for these.

I'm not sure I'd care for random ones, some can be awkward to type.  But
I'd go along with an idea that you name your computer early in the
install sequence, and that name is used with drive partitions labelling
and volume group names.  Dual drive systems could prompt for a second
drive name.

It's a lot easier to manage moving a drive between computer if you can
texta a name on the case that matches names on the drive.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.