IBM eserver 325, not able to detect CPU and Ethernet cards

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:56:03 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 07:29 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> ram wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> let me try
>>>
>>> and revert back
>>>
>>> ram
>>>
>> It might help to update the motherboard bios if you don't have the latest.
> Les, that would make a great HOWTO as it scares the pants off of me to
> even consider doing something, without some handholding, that might blow
> something up to smithereens. Blowing up my bios would just about wreck
> my day, ya know? Ric

IBM likes to put everything one one bootable CD that figures out what
machine/version you have and then it offers to install the current
version for that machine so there's not much you need in the way of
instructions if you know how to burn a cd image.   However, your concern
is well founded especially for fedora kernels.  I have a 225 that would
not boot fedora kernels since about the middle of FC5 and after the
update it wouldn't boot the old OR new version or even an FC6 install
CD.  Fortunately these have swappable drives and I keep a spare chassis
around so I didn't have to panic. It does seem to work OK with Centos5
now.  Oddly, this was the 3rd in a set that I updated and the others did
not have the same problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com