amarok problem with .flac

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat May 19 10:35:02 UTC 2007

On 19/05/07, oleksandr korneta wrote:

> on 05/18/2007 09:28 AM Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 18/05/07, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> >> and what do I have to install in order to be able to play .flac files
> >> with latest amarok? I periodically gain and loose this ability with
> >> every update.
> >
> > Where is the bug report about that?
> >
> > FLAC is free and included with Fedora Core 6. Xine supports .flac
> > files, and so does Amarok. But perhaps you meant to ask why *some*
> > .flac files don't play? Compare with e.g.
> > https://bugzilla.redhat.com/237506 -- help looking into it.
> >

> No. I mean that in my case *none* of .flac files is playable by amarok.
> However, this might be my case. "So it's the fact there is an ID3v2 tag
> on the file that causes xine not to play it."
> (https://bugzilla.redhat.com/237506#c7) Although, I do not have any
> .flac files without id3v2 to test. How do I strip out the tag from the
> .flac file?
>

> Hm... And what would be the use of untagged files anyway?

Are you aware that "id3" comes from "Identify an MP3"?

You have a feature-request for an application to support id3 tags on
another file format. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/237506#c8 explains
it.

id3 is a data container format that even breaks with some audio
container formats. FLAC -- the audio format itself -- *may* work just
fine together with implementations of id3v2, but developers of FLAC
libraries and/or developers of audio applications still need to
implement it first and not violate id3.org compliance.