How to enable 'rsh' for user=root ?

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Sat May 19 14:50:45 UTC 2007

Hi,

I've tried several recommendations to enable 'rsh' for the user
'root'. I know about the pitfalls and dangers or doing same, but I
must have this because of particular need for the software suites I am
running.
I am able to run 'rsh' just fine for all other users. It's just for
'root' that I am facing problems.

I've attempted by adding 'rsh', 'rlogin', 'rexec' in /etc/securetty
file, i.e. first three lines. Didn't help.
I've attempted by adding the 'server_options = o' & 'server_options =
-o' in the /etc/xinitd.d/rsh file. Didn't help.

On running the following,
 # rsh <myhostname> pwd

I get:
 Trying krb4 rsh...
 krb_sendauth failed: You have no tickets cached
 trying normal rsh (/usr/bin/rsh)
 Permission denied.

Also, if someone is aware of how to disable the feature of rsh to
attempt connection using Kerberos ?

thanks & regards,
Banibrata