Checkbox for "Install Everything"

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sun May 20 22:45:29 UTC 2007

At 06:32 PM 5/20/2007, jdow wrote:

<JD>>>>>What we need to stifle this winge on the part of people who think
they know better is a button that reads, "I am a suicidal maniac, have more
ram and disk than God, and really really think I know what I am doing so
install everything and let me sort it out. I promise I will not complain
when the hamsters in my computer give up the ghost."<<<<<

I would be happy with that.

One of the very first things I do with any new installation is click on
System->Services and de-select everything I don't need... from both
Runlevel 5 and Runlevel 3, the latter being because I also often edit
/etc/inittab to tell it to start up in text mode rather than X mode (then I
can run startx when I want to).

I usually end up with a fairly lean-running system that way.

I'd still rather have it (on disk) and not need it, than need it and not
have it, since "not having it" often comes without a clear and
understandable way to get it.