Fedora 7 and VMware - Problems

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Mon May 21 02:10:09 UTC 2007

At 07:28 PM 5/20/2007, Ed Greshko wrote:

<EG>>>>>I'm running FC7-T4 as a guest on a RHELv4 host.  Using VMware
workstation 6.0.  The only issue so far is the ability to install VMware
tools on FC7.<<<<<

Good evening, Ed.

I'm running on Workstation 5.5.2.  Haven't gotten around to upgrading to
6.0 yet.  Planned to do that in order to be able to run on Vista hosts but
didn't get the Vista machine I thought I was going to get so it became moot.

Are you aware of any F7 problems that might be solved by upgrading from
Workstation 5.5 to 6?

I haven't gotten around to trying to install VMware Tools yet, suspected
that probably might not work well.  What happened when you tried (if in
fact you did try it)?

<EG>>>>>Go to the VMware forums.  The issue is not related to FC7 but
VMware.<<<<<

Past experience has shown me that that would be an endeavor that would be,
as the old saying goes, useless as tits on a bull.

They will say that it's an F7 problem, go complain to the Fedora people, we
don't claim to support F7 anyway.

I will say that, as I said, earlier versions of Fedora run fine on VMware
Workstation 5.x (all the way back to 5.0.1) with the exception of FC4, and
with varying degrees of difficulty in getting it all running.

VMware claims, perhaps with variable levels of justification, to be
compatible with a regular x86 environment, so that anything that runs on
one should run on the other.

An example of a problem I had was that F7's installer can't see the
faux-SCSI disks VMware provides, and so I had to tell VMware to make them
IDE instead of SCSI.  That never happened with earlier versions of
Fedora.  Wouldn't that be something that's useful for the F7 people to know?