nVidia or software RAID 5?

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Tue May 22 06:54:05 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Dawning Sky <the.dawning.sky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm building a new server with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, with comes
> with the nVidia MediaShield Raid support.  I'm wondering whether I should
> use this function and setup my array in the BIOS, or I should use the Linux
> software RAID and build the array directly from the drives.  Please advice.

Every motherboard-based RAID solution is essentially software RAID (provided
by a windows driver) in combination with a BIOS patch which allows the
system to boot from the disk array.
The software RAID implementation in Fedora 6 should be able to adapt to the
on-disk format of most on-board solutions, including the nvidia version, but
if you're not planning to boot from the disk array you might want to use the
default vendor-independent disk layout which should be easier to migrate to
another system if needed.

Klaasjan