having problems with getting ports open through firewall

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue May 22 08:30:16 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> Woops sorry should have been eth0.
>
> Scott

I don't think you can achieve this using
system-config-securitylevel-tui. It just doesn't have the flexibility to
handle this kind of configuration. These rules will do what you want:

iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -i eth0 -j ACCEPT

should allows any packet incoming or outgoing via eth0 to be accepted
(unless a previous rule explicitly blocks the packet). However, since
eth0 has no IP address and is not in promiscuous mode, what packets are
you expecting to see on that interface?

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555