FC6 sound gone

Christian Menzel christian.menzel at gmail.com
Tue May 22 08:38:58 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, stan <stanl at cox.net> wrote:
> You can check what audacity thinks is the card it is using by going
> into edit:preferences.  There is a selection drop down for play and
> record separately.  Then from a console or terminal type aplay -lLv to
> see what devices alsa has defined as aliases.  Once you know that try
> aplay -D one of the devices some.wav.  Make sure that the speaker out
> is plugged into the correct jack.  The aplay -lLv should also give you
> the hardware devices.  if aplay -D some device alias doesn't work, try
> aplay -D hwplug:0,0 some.wav, or whichever devices alsa has assigned.

aplay -D <device> seems to think everything is OK and plays the file,
but I hear nothing :-(

aplay -D hwplug:0,0 returns an audio open error: No such file or directory,
allthough aplay -lLv tells me there is a device 0,0:
card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [Unknown]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]

Maybe I have to mknod a device?

> My past experience indicates that alsa keeps some internal state
> information that can wreak havoc while having problems.  And did you
> remove any .asoundrc in ~/home or asound.state or asound.conf in /etc
> before you removed the card and plugged it back in?  That could cause
> problems also.

I don't have a local .asoundrc. The files in /etc were deleted.

Regards
Chris