KMail + IMAP - help urgently sought

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue May 22 12:26:36 UTC 2007

I'm running dovecot on my desktop,
and running kmail + IMAP on my laptops,
specifying the desktop as IMAP server
(the idea being to keep email on the laptops in sync).

This has always had problems with kmail hanging,
and now it has become completely unusable.

I think the problem is that /var/spool/mail/* on the desktop
has become too large.

Does one really have to keep email in mbox format in this directory
if running an IMAP server?
Is IMAP incompatible with maildir format?

Is anyone actually running a system like this?
If not, how do you keep email on different laptops in sync?

I used to share ~/Mail under NFS,
and that seemed to work reasonably well,
but I was told by my betters that I should use IMAP.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366