Having an Evolution and Mail notification Problem?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue May 22 15:41:00 UTC 2007

Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 12:43 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Ed, it's Evolutions fault. <g> It puts that stupid --
>>> automatically where my dot-sig used to be before it blew up and if I
>>> insert above it then I get that damn Preformat of text option so I was
>>> trying below it. If Evolution jerks me off any more I'm switching to
>>> Thunderbird. I might just go ahead and do that anyway. Thanks for the
>>> heads up. I do appreciate it.
>> Welcome....
>>
>>> I wonder if I should yum install it or just grab it straight from mozilla as I do Firefox?
>>>
>>> What say ye? Ric
>> IMHO, if you do it for Firefox you should do it for T-bird.  That's what I
>> do and it works just fine especially now with Mozilla's auto-update feature.
>
> Great Minds! That's exactly what I thought. Now I have to figure out how
> to import my evolution mail box and folders to Thunderbird. Wondering if
> just a copy would do it?? Couldn't get import to cut it and couldn't
> find an extension that would. I've got a pile of emails stored that I
> would rather keep.
>
> I just linked /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird to /usr/bin/thunderbird and
> it fires up like a champ. Thanks again, Ed.

Having gone through the mess I will try to help.

Evolution does export mail in a TB usable mail box.  Select all the
messages in a folder, right click and save as to a local mail box.

As an example, I have to use Evolution to access our Exchange server.
Before people start saying use Imap or Pop, our IT staff are not allowed
to enable these features.

I take my mail from the Inbox and move it to and Export folder.  I then
select all the mail in the Export server.  I then right click and use
"save as" and put the messages in
~/.Thunderbird/{default}/Mail/Local/Import.

Take note, in Evolution, you have to mouse click on your home directory
before if you don't want it to crash.  Then type in the rest of the path.

I then use Thunderbird's filters to sort the mail.

I tried Evolutions filters but I was shocked at how slow it was.  Hours
to get mail filtered that takes seconds on TB.  This could be due to the
OWA interface.

When I moved to Evolution for work, I moved all my mail to Evolution and
then setup filters to do what I did in TB.  It was to slow to be useful
so I moved everything back by saving all the messages in folders that
were named the same as the original Evolution folders.  I then imported
them as described above.

Hope this helps.
--
Due to the move to M$ Exchange Server,
    anything that is a priority, please phone.