FC6 sound gone

stan stanl at cox.net
Tue May 22 17:26:35 UTC 2007

On Tue, 22 May 2007 10:38:58 +0200
"Christian Menzel" <christian.menzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/21/07, stan <stanl at cox.net> wrote:
> > You can check what audacity thinks is the card it is using by going
> > into edit:preferences.  There is a selection drop down for play and
> > record separately.  Then from a console or terminal type aplay -lLv
> > to see what devices alsa has defined as aliases.  Once you know
> > that try aplay -D one of the devices some.wav.  Make sure that the
> > speaker out is plugged into the correct jack.  The aplay -lLv
> > should also give you the hardware devices.  if aplay -D some device
> > alias doesn't work, try aplay -D hwplug:0,0 some.wav, or whichever
> > devices alsa has assigned.
>
> aplay -D <device> seems to think everything is OK and plays the file,
> but I hear nothing :-(
>
> aplay -D hwplug:0,0 returns an audio open error: No such file or
> directory, allthough aplay -lLv tells me there is a device 0,0:
> card 0: Audigy [Audigy 1 [Unknown]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
> Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
>
> Maybe I have to mknod a device?

The device should have been taken care of by the initial setup of the
card.  And the two aplay results are contradictory.  The device
aliases are on top of the hardware plug.  So alsa is recognizing the
hardware before it creates the device aliases, then not recognizing
the hardware.  You can try aplay -D hw:0,0 as a long shot, but
it sounds to me like there is something very wrong.  I'm not an
expert in this by any stretch of the imagination; at this point I
would ask on the alsa-devel list at http://www.alsa-project.org.
Technically, you should ask on the alsa-user list, but that seems to
have low traffic and sound is so complicated the devel list is better.

Good luck.