[Fedora] Re: Help with Samba

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue May 22 19:17:55 UTC 2007

David G. Miller wrote:
> How are you logging in on the Windows box?
> Is that login also in /etc/smbpasswd on Server 2 or does Server 2
> authenticate users some other way?  If not your login gets mapped to
> Guest.
    Err, it's a user with administrative access, no password.  And no
it's not in smbpasswd.

> Does that login correspond to the user who owns the files and
> directories on Server 1?  Even if your Windows login is recognized on
> Server 2, Server 1 wants access to be restricted to the user who owns
> the files in its /etc/passwd or however it authenticates users.
    It does not correspond to anything.  Those folder in /ftpusers/ are
all owned by different users (on Server 1).  But we need a way to put
files in those folder from within our network (where we don't use
user/password logins anyway.  windows shares are all setup to allow
guest access.)

> Server 2 is going to restrict access to users it knows about unless
> you open up permissions which is a bad idea.
    If this is only for internal use (and everything is blocked via
firewall and iptables) and I have control over what happens where and by
who, how bad can it really be?

    I DO have to keep the permissions on /ftpusers/ on Server I because
those are accessible by our clients, with their respective (unix)
user/paswd logins.  It's a public server that they ftp into.  However,
from there on, access to the internal network is heavily guarded.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
  Photo Craft Imaging                       .     3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6