Wireless networking question

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Fri May 25 12:28:46 UTC 2007

On Fri May 25 2007, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Claude, I think what you are looking for is an "access point".  While
> they are designed as a way to merge wired and wireless networks together
> without being a broadband router, they can usually be configured as a
> router over the wireless, or as a bridge over the wireless to connect
> two remote wired networks together.

Actually, after spending some considerable time last night trying to get an
Access Point to work, and poring through the manual, I found it wouldn't do
the job. That's what led me on my quest. I did find a few DLink Access Points
that would come close to what I wanted but they would only work in
conjunction with other DLink products. The Linksys bridge suggested by
another poster does exactly what I want. What I found is that most Access
Points are directional - they want a router connected to their ethernet port,
not another network. At least from my reading of several manuals last night,
most Access Points are not easily configurable as bridges.

Another poster suggested tying the two machines together using a crossover
cable on a private network; that would probably work. In my original post, I
neglected to mention that I was also looking to replace one of my current
wireless adapters - one of them, connected to the PC, keeps losing and
reconnecting its connection - we've tried many different things to try to
repair that problem, but I've concluded that the device itself is flaky. It's
a Microsoft USB wireless nic, and it's always been cranky, so I want to get
rid of it.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA