nVidia or software RAID 5?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat May 26 06:22:21 UTC 2007

On Thu May 24 2007, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> .... Are you sure? AFAIK dmraid != softraid.
> Either way, if your machine dies with the nVidia RAID, you have zero
> chance of putting the drives in a new machine and getting them to work
> out of the box.
> With software RAID, it's just a matter of connecting the power cable...

Where are you guys getting this info. This is not to quarrel, but, my current
experience directly contradicts, I think, several things being asserted in
this thread. I've got two SuperMicro SuperServers here running with Nvidia
Nforce chipsets and NVidia SATA RAID. Both have been configured with two
mirrors apiece. One mirror in each is dedicated to the OS, and the other to
data. Due to some recent issues, and to a decision to shrink the OS partition
on the system mirror, I ended up booting both of these machines into Linux
using hte gparted distro disk. There was no problem. According to the second
post in this thread -  "Every motherboard-based RAID solution is essentially
software RAID (provided by a windows driver) in combination with a BIOS patch
which allows the system to boot from the disk array." - that statement seems
to be in direct contradiction to my experience. I'm assuming that no windows
drivers are involved once I boot off the Linux gparted distro CD, or am I
missing something here? The boot-up did involve options to configure
additional drivers for RAID, and I picked the Nvidia mirror drivers - but if
the Linux Nvidia drivers can 'see' the mirrors I created in Windows, that
would also seem to contradict some statements being made in this thread...no?

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA