updating to Fedora 7 rc2

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon May 28 01:58:46 UTC 2007

Scott Berry wrote:
> I didn't say you were a mind reader .  I suppose that should be a new
> college course huh?  I am upgrading from fc6 and downloaded f7-rc2-i386
> iso. Anaconda didn't even come up.  I am trying to upgrade an existing
> system.

IMHO, it is not a good idea to upgrade a system from a released/stable
version of Fedora to a Beta/RC version of the next release.  (Actually that
goes for almost any OS.)  That path is not formally tested and you may find
yourself in dependency hell or in a very confused state.

For example, the RC2 may have version 6 of a particular library or
application.  Then, in testing, it is decided that 5 was more stable than 6
and when the released version comes out it has 5 but you already have 6 and
the upgrade patch is not designed to go backwards.

--
Advice to young men: Be ascetic, and if you can't be ascetic,
then at least be aseptic.