FC6 shutdown launcher missing

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 28 22:45:04 UTC 2007

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:42:10 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> [...]
>> Is it possible that gdm has something to do with the availability of the
>> shutdown button within gnome?
>
> How do I check?

I found out that the applet does not show if I use startx from runlevel 3.

If I log in as root at runlevel 3 and then start gdm, I can log in as
regular user and the applet shows up in the choices.

I will try out kdm and xdm to see if the choices are there with
different GUI login management programs.

>> I'm curious about why the option is not available within GNOME.
>
> It is, on all other machines. I run only Gnome.
>
> And the first thing I do, after any fresh install, is a few minimal panel
> tweaks, one of those always being to add both a shutdown launcher and a
> logout launcher, along with a Main Menu, a terminal, a workspace
> switcher, and a drawer full of browsers.

Other than adding a drawer, I add the same items to the panel, except
for also adding the weather applet for two locations, one on each
different display.

I also add my favorite aplications to the panel instead of needing to
navigate menus which reduces the mouse clicks and hunting for items.
(games, browsers, scanners, graphics programs)

Jim

--
When in doubt, do what the President does -- guess.