Fedora Core 6 HUGE problem

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 29 02:28:34 UTC 2007

An unattributed author:
>>> Nvidia and ATI's drivers aren't included in the box.  They could be.

Frank Cox:
>> Not under the current licensing conditions, they can't be and won't be.  Windows
>> Vista could also be included with every Fedora download; somehow I don't think
>> that will be done either.

Les Mikesell:
> Section 2.1.2 of
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html
> would seem to imply otherwise.

This part (from the above link) would appear to be a problem:

"2.1.2 Linux/FreeBSD Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of
Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
(except for unzipping of compressed files)."

Unless they've changed how *they* install it, it used to mangle OS files
in a harmful manner (yes, *I* *have* been bitten by that),
neccessitating some modification of their files to avoid that, cheifly
the installation routines.  You may argue that an install script is not
binary, others would argue its all binary.

> Chicken, meet egg... It will have an impact on sales when enough people
> use Linux desktops, which will only happen when the distributions make
> it usable enough on popular hardware.

I think it's always going to be chicken and egg when you try to meld
obsessively controlling commercial interests with FOSS.

>> As far as I know, the latest drivers for the latest video cards don't come
>> stock with Windows XP or Vista either.  (I've never installed MS Windows on
>> anything so I could be wrong here, but it has always been my understanding that
>> they require a separate download.)

> The usual practice is for the hardware vendor to deliver a machine with
> windows and all the necessary drivers installed and tested.

I'd say *badly* tested.  Prebuilt systems that I've had to deal with
have had poor performance, or hard to repeat kludgy work-arounds.

> Many vendors keep updates online for things they have sold so you have a
> central place to find them.

Some might, but I've had a hell of a time trying to rebuild some Windows
systems where the sound or video card needs special drivers that just
aren't available anywhere other than the long-since-lost original
install discs.  Some Creative sound cards seem the worst at that.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.