OT: Requesting C advice

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue May 29 19:00:26 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 11:03 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
I have to admit to confusing PASCAL and C.  I used both in the early
years, along with Basic.  I was in the Navy and couldn't afford
software.  I wrote my own from the language descriptions in the books.
This included editors, compilers, preprocessors (I used the same
preprocessor with all my compilers), and debuggers.  I still have a
collection of a small box of audio tapes in storage with my altair that
contains much of that code.  It was easier to make it portable than to
write another, especially since it was in assembly code for Z80 at the
time.  I also wrote my own virtual machine for lisp because the Z80 I
had kept overwriting the stack, which messed up the stack oriented lisp
code.  Because I wrote so much of this stuff, and ported it to multiple
machines, I simply confused it all.

    I should have checked the manuals before I responded.  I remember
reading the arguments about size, but I no longer remember the details
you mentioned, Rick.  I have to plead stupidity for not checking the
manuals and old age for bad memory.  But a lot of this occurred more
than 30 years ago, and a lot of code has passed through the old gray
matter since, so please forgive my frailty, and excuse my stupidity, and
Thank You for straightening me out.

Regards,
Les Howell