Memory management on Fedora6

Takatsugu Kobayashi tkobayas at indiana.edu
Tue May 29 18:21:54 UTC 2007

Hi, Linux newbie here.

I have been using Fedora6 x86_64 for 2 months now and am very happy with
this package.

I have just noticed that my memory usage does not diminish as I think I
free up memory by closing applications, etc. I was using Windows before
migrating into Linux, but on Windows memory was freed up by closing
applications and by removing inputs from memory cells. How can I free up
memory on Linux?

Also, I tried Suse 10.2 before using Fedora6. For some reason, response
time was better on Suse. It looks like opening Mozilla and Openoffice
applications takes a while..... Does anyone notice this difference in
response time?

My system configuration is

CPU: Athlon X2 5200 AM2 (not overclocked)
RAM: Wintec DDR2 800 4GB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 6150 Onboard

Any suggestions for memory management or is this something I don't have
to worry about?

Thank you very much.

Taka