terminal services on FC6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:14:33 UTC 2007

azeem ahmad wrote:
> hi list
> i have a FC6 box which has 1 GB RAM and two 1 GHz XEON Processors. i
> want to give a remote desktop to about 40 clients simaltaneously.
> but notice that its not like vnc which shares a single desktop, rather i
> want to give every user which logs in a new personal desktop which is
> not shared with other users. (may be just like windows terminal services)
>
> is there any such software which can be used for this purpose?
>
> can the above mentioned HArdware support about 40 simal;taneous user
> connections???

Look at the k12ltsp project:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page
It is a re-spun fedora distribution with some extra stuff including the
ltsp package that lets you network boot thin clients. There is also a
version based on Centos if you want something with a longer update
cycle.  There's an active mail list of users, most but not all in
educational settings and many run that number of clients (you'll
probably need more RAM, though and that server won't be extremely fast).
  In addition to network booting, the system will allow other ways of
connecting, including remote X sessions, vnc (configured to start a new
sesson per connection) or freenx with the NX client.

If you don't want to re-install, it is also possible to drop the ltsp
package in and set it up yourself, but I'd recommend installing k12ltsp
on a text box so you can at least copy the way they do things.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com