r300 driver stability

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Thu May 31 08:07:40 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Andras Simon <szajmi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Having been bitten in the past by the
> proprietary NVidia drivers, this time I'm leaning towards the r300
> series of ATI cards, as they are supported by OS drivers. (Actually,
> I'd prefer one of the r200 series of cards, but I haven't found one
> with a PCIe interface.) But since the r300 driver is based on reverse
> engineering, I'm not sure if this is a safe choice. Could someone who
> uses it tell about his/her experiences, especially stability-wise?

I've been using the r300 driver on a desktop with a Radeon X800 (PCI-E) card
and a laptop with built-in Mobile Radeon 9700 (AGP). Both on Fedora 6 and
working without problems, including the compiz desktop. Some applications
update a bit slow on the 3d desktop (especially on the 9700), which can be
worked around by dropping the colordepth to 16 bits. Both systems are rock
solid, no crashes due to the display driver. There's sometimes a glitch in
compiz which makes window borders disappear, which could be a driver
problem, but it's easily fixes by restarting compiz.

Klaasjan